Search This Blog

Thursday 1 November 2018

Teaching Emotions in French and Spanish lesson example

I have not had to teach emotions in a long time, but this year as I got the opportunity I decided to go further than the simple well and ok.
The thing is if you teach emotions wether in French or Spanish there are a lot of other things involved and even  more so in Spanish than in French.
- Adjectives for a start are very important and explaining the changes that occur if the person who feels is a girl or a boy, or even if it is a group of people or a group of girls.
- Ser/ vs estar in Spanish. It is actually easier to explain if students do not use English as they will take some time to make the connection between the two verbs meaning the same thing.

So this  whole thinking got me creating some fun resources and using the interactive notebook ideas I saw on Pinterest with my own twist so the lesson goes as such:

Introducing the vocabulary with a simple conversation to put in the correct order wit the help of icon on the right hand side put together in the correct form.
I asked the students to read the conversation and write it in their books. And then some questions popped up, about 'por qué' and 'porque' which for a 5th grade class I thought was really good.

 I then have a slide with the two questions and  discussing how many ways you can ask the same thing in one language ( also discussing it in English).

After that I have a few slides with icons that I made my other resources with so I can have continuity for the students, and they get introduced to adjectives that do not change first like 'feliz' and then move on to adjectives that require the change from masculine to feminine such as 'cansad@'.
This is how far I got during my last class...
No here is the plan :

 From there I could do so many other things, hangman, dominos, but I thought I would make a dice so the students would have more fun taking notes on the various adjectives:





So I made this set of two dice that the kids will roll and use to fill their interactive notebooks with.
To fill in the interactive notebook, they will continue to roll the dice until all the faces come up.

After that, with partners they will use the memory game and will be able to check their spelling on their notebook with the written version of the emotions.
I will then have a pause and explain pronouns and estar.

Finally, after doing all this, the students should somewhat be ready to tackle the board game which I would use in groups of 3 or 4 students. Students will roll the dice and try to reach the end by saying the phrase with the correct gender and if required plural version of the feelings.
The memory game has 'estar' in the infinitive while students can go further in the board game and attempt to use all the various forms for he/she/they of the verb.

This will probably take another two lessons.

TPT link to the bundle and the Emotion products :
Memory Game: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Memory-game-Spanish-emotions-with-Estar-masculine-and-feminine-4157670
Board game:https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Las-Emociones-Board-game-4153289


No comments:

Post a Comment